Total Pageviews

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

A Mama's Intuition

When I was a little girl in the third grade, it was all the rage to bring your purse with you to school. We put little knick knacks in our purse, lip gloss, teddy bears. Just items that little girls like. One of my friends, apparently liked sea shells because she put a big conch shell in her purse and decided to swing it around her head for some reason. At the same time she began to swing, I turned around behind her and got whapped in the face with that sea shell. My forehead poured blood and I ran to the mirror thinking my eye had been cut. Fortunately, it was just a small cut on my forehead and eventually stopped bleeding. My dad came to the school and brought some butterfly bandages and candy to perk my spirits up and I went on my way. 

The funny thing is, my mom said that all morning she had a feeling something was wrong. Just a feeling in the pit of her stomach telling her that something was off. And then she got the call that the small accident had happened. 

Usually, my instincts are always wrong. I always feel anxious about something, but it ends up being nothing, only my worries making themselves known. So, yesterday when I had a feeling that something was up with Luke, I just tried to let the thought pass. I even thought about calling the daycare just to ease my worried mind, but I told myself that I needed to chill out. Stop being the overprotective parent. 

I woke up this morning with the same pit in my stomach, but things have been a little stressful with work and other things so I just tried to put the feelings aside. I dropped off Luke and went on my way to work. I hadn't been there but an hour when Mrs. Susan called to tell me that Luke had taken a tumble and gotten a pretty good gash on his lip. She thought that maybe I should come look at it to see if he needed to go to the doctor. I left in such a tizzy that I only grabbed my purse and wallet and left all of my work stuff. I got to the daycare and Luke was fine, much like when I got knocked in the head. I probably could have given him a hug and let him be, but he clung around my neck and I just wanted to cuddle with him to make him feel better. We went to the doctor, just to make sure no stitches were needed and that his teeth were still ok. Just a busted lip, nothing worse. 

He's at the age now where boo boos are commonplace. He walks like a drunkard, oftentimes losing his balance and tripping over nothing in particular. In fact, just last week, he tripped over the bathmat and into the tub, placing a small cut on his chin. I try not to be overprotective and let things happen as he has to learn, but what I really want to do is wrap him in bubble wrap and hold him on my lap. I can't even imagine what it will be like when he can drive away on his own. My stomach clenches at the thought. I'm glad that he's ok tonight with only a minor scraped lip from his fall. I only pray that the boo boos stay small and we get through the toddler years mostly unscathed! 

Here are some pictures from this weekend. Our friends little girl turned one year old and had a lovely party! 


Ms. Lydia in her rocking chair

And the cute tutu!







He loved running around everywhere

He did not like the swings


While Lydia LOVED them!


Leddy and her daddy! :) 


Birthday girl

Luke played peekaboo with me


I tried to get him to swing with me but he still wasn't a fan


CAKE!

And Luke finally got into the cake, unlike at his birthday where he cried! :P 

No comments:

Post a Comment