Total Pageviews

Friday, April 17, 2015

To Luke, On Your Second Birthday

Dear Luke,

2 years! You are 2 years old, and I cannot believe it. What a fun little boy you have turned into and what joy and light you bring to mine and your daddy's life.

Your second year has brought lots of changes. You now run, not just walk, everywhere. You talk in sentences, sing songs, have a strong tendency to play outside. I love so many things about you, your little chubby hands, the way that when Dillon and I hug, you run to us immediately and share in the hug (and how you grunt when you hug, like you're giving the biggest, best hug ever). I love the little freckle on your right cheek, the one you probably got from the terrible sunburn in September when we forgot to put sunscreen on you, a constant reminder for your mama about that mistake. I love that when we get to the grocery store or when the food comes at a restaurant that you show the excitement that adults restrain and you yell out "YAY, HO!" I love your stubbornness as it means later in life you will stick to your morals and hopefully not blindly go along with the crowd, even if that stubbornness is hard to handle right now. And you are ever so helpful. Every day you ask me "Mama, need help?" You try to lift heavy things for me and you always want to help me and your daddy. My favorite was one day when your dad was working in the garage and he started one of his wood working machines and you shouted out "Dada, you ok?! Need help?!"  I love your happiness and innocence. While I love seeing you grow and develop what I wouldn't give to keep you this little always and forever. What a sweet boy you are.

The other night we laid on the couch and I told you about the last week I was pregnant with you. How we caught the house on fire, how your daddy fixed me a spicy dinner before we went to the hospital and how happy we were when you joined the world. You listened with such intent and laughed at certain parts, you watched me with those incredible sparkling blue eyes and I wanted to stop time. I know that you won't always want to cuddle on the couch with your old mom, and that's ok, but I cherish these nights when you snuggle up under the blanket with me.

I really hope that you always know the love your daddy and I have for you. We will always stand behind you, and support you whether it's taking your first steps or trying out for baseball or getting a scholarship and going off to college. You have brought such joy to us, little boy, in these past two years and we can't wait to see what your next years bring.

I love you, Mama.
Hey there, little buddy. The day you came into the world.



Your first birthday! You were JUST getting teeth, late bloomer.



And you at 2. 

Looking like a little boy.

2 Years!


No comments:

Post a Comment