Total Pageviews

Monday, January 11, 2016

Potty Training, Dimes & Travel... Oh My.

2016 has started off with a quiet bang (is that even a thing?) and while nothing HUGE has happened it seems like we've had and have a busy month and it'll keep on trucking through to the spring.

Our craziness started off last week with Luke swallowing a dime. I apologize in advance if this is disgusting to you in any way. Once you  have kids, dogs and you work with medical staff where things like fecal incontinence are discussed on a daily basis, you kind of gain a strong stomach. Anywho... We were sitting on the couch watching Minions, because this is our new favorite thing that we have to watch All. The. Time... and Luke turns around and looks at me and says "Mama, I swallowed money, get it out." And points to his throat. I'm not going to lie, I panicked a little. The fact that he was at least talking and didn't look like he was in distress helped calm my nerves that he wasn't seriously choking, but I called the pediatrician's office. The nurse there basically looked up what to do, she said if he was breathing he was fine and then she had him drink milk and eat bread to make sure he could swallow. Once he ate the bread, he said that he couldn't feel the money in his throat anymore.  The nurse hung up and I called on Dr. Google to help me with other answers (Which if you didn't know by now, this is ALWAYS a terrible idea.) I read about how pennies can corrode and cause all kinds of stomach issues if they don't pass, how the coin could still be stuck in his throat, how it caused some kids all kinds of stomach pains. I tore myself away and told myself that it would probably eventually pass as most things work out. I told daycare to monitor the poo and we delegated ourselves to the wonderful task of watching every BM with hawk eyes. Finally, last night we found the coin! And, thankfully, it was a dime and not a penny which made me feel a little better too. That crisis has passed, I suppose, and we've had several conversations now about how the only thing we put in our mouth is food. We also have a lovely dime that Luke's stomach acid gave a nice patina to.

Speaking of potty issues, we are casually introducing the potty to Luke. He's had it for awhile and he wouldn't really sit on it. We promised him if he would sit on it and actually use it that he could get another Mack Truck from Target. The one that Santa didn't bring. So he sat. And sat. And sat. In fact I think he just likes sitting on the pot because it's the only time we ever let him look on our phones. Friday night, he was sitting in there and I looked over and he was all shocked because he peed in the potty! We all got excited, he got lots of stickers and we promised to go to Target the next morning. Only thing is, now we're just back to sitting and no bathrooming. I try not to be too overbearing on this, when he's ready, he's ready, but part of me thinks he's just so danged stubborn he won't even try to participate. Meh.

This has been the start of our 2016. A good one so far, if maybe just a little too heavy on bodily functions.

Next week, Dillon and I take our first trip without Luke. I have to fly to San Antonio for a conference and learn how to plan a 5K. Dillon's tagging along and exploring the sights while I'm holed up in a hotel meeting room all day. We're hoping for some time in the evenings to get out and explore so it should be nice, but I will admit there's some anxiety in leaving Luke. My mom and dad will stay with him at our house so the change shouldn't be too different, but a little extra prayer for us would be greatly appreciated. Dillon will also be taking the camera so hopefully we'll have some fun pictures when we get back!



We took Luke down to his daycare parking lot and let him cruise on Mater. When my parents move in their new house, they have a flat driveway and sidewalks for him to ride on!












How our evenings are spent. And I'm totally showing this to his first girlfriend.





Same story... different room.


We have a winner!




1 comment: