Total Pageviews

Friday, December 16, 2016

Happy Birthday, Baby Charlie!

Happy Birthday, Baby Charlie!

You came into this world quickly on December 15th  at 5:00 PM on the dot. You weighed 7 lbs. 11 oz. and are 19 inches long. I started laboring with you on the 14th and felt certain you were coming that day. The doctor on call had other thoughts and sent us home for the evening saying I'd probably return later that night or early the next morning. My doctor was on call on the 15th and decided to go ahead and admit me.

We had a leisurely drive to the hospital, arriving around 10:00 AM. Our room was still being cleaned and our nurse was inside preparing everything. We filled out paperwork, I got on my gown and crawled into the bed. I got my epidural by 11:45, my water broken by 12:00  and progressed to 6 centimeters dilated by 2:00 pm. I wasn't progressing very fast, so they set me up on some pitocin and I could feel you kicking and the tightness of the contractions, but  not much pain. At 4:00 pm, the nurses came in and were setting up some things when I had a contraction where I felt the urge to push. The nurse said she needed to check and sure enough it was time! She ran to get the doctor and about 8 minutes, 4 contractions and 12 pushes later, you were here.

You were a little purple, you cried minimally and you've pretty much slept  your first twenty four hours of life. You've gotten shots, you've had your blood taken, eaten your first "food" and been a pretty easy baby. We expect that to change tonight when you wake up from your shock of being born. We did get our pictures taken today and you loved your big brother holding you. He loved the present you got him with a Lightning McQueen racetrack and we've missed him since he's stayed with ma and peepaw for three days.

I'm so very thankful that you're here, and that you're healthy. I think back to May, when we sat in the waiting room of the ER, praying to see your heartbeat on the ultrasound monitor. How I was scared to even look, thinking the worst and daddy nudging me on to see the flicker of your life beginning. I wish that I could have had more time to enjoy my pregnancy with you, but with a second baby it's more difficult to do and I feel that I tended to worry over you the whole time. Our lives are busy, and will be busier now, but we are so, so happy. Thank you, God, for giving us this baby.

And Charlie, we look forward to loving you, guiding you and being your parents. You and your brother are the light of our lives and we can't wait to see what your future holds. We love you.

Mama and Daddy







He was nervous at first to hold her, but soon came around. 










Be still my heart...










No comments:

Post a Comment