Total Pageviews

Monday, August 27, 2018

The Night Before Kindergarten

My, oh my. I don't know how this happened. All the cliched sayings come to mind. The days are long, but the years are short. It goes by in the blink of an eye. You know them. You've heard them. And you've probably said them, too. But here we are, Luke starts school. TOMORROW.

My heart aches and I'm a little bit more than anxious for him, but this child knows no fear and is ready. He wants to go. He wants to make new friends. He wants to learn. And I think I'm being left behind in the dust a little bit.

The memories of the past five years are tucked away in my brain. They're not all good memories, but I can even look back on the stressful times with fondness right now. The dreadful trip to Destin, temper tantrums, me passing Luke off to my mom and driving around for an hour and a half because I just couldn't take it anymore, stomach bugs, rashes, colds, and times when I had absolutely no clue as to what I was doing. And then there's the trip to Disney World, the cuddles at night, Luke singing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" with his daddy, short stubby legs running to me, "family hugs", Luke seeing Thomas the Train in real life, Luke holding his baby sister for the first time, Christmas mornings... I could go on and on. It hasn't always been a walk in the park, but it's been life, and I've loved life with little Luke.

He's a rough and tumble little boy. He's loud, he's rambunctious, he's hard headed, he has a hard time with boundaries. But he's also loving, and kind and can be gentle (at times). He likes making friends and running fast. He also likes reading and math and building with Legos. I think he'll like school.

And so, tomorrow, we make a new memory of him walking into his classroom and starting this new, big adventure. Please, Lord, give his teachers patience and grace and kindness and the ability to see that sweet little boy. He may have a hard time listening, but he does aim to please, I promise. Also, Lord, protect his spirit. Let kids be kind (I know they won't always be), but help his heart hurt a little less when it does happen. And please help me. Help me to let him go just a little bit more and to guide him the best I know how.











And just because I feel like being morose... Luke as a baby. <3



No comments:

Post a Comment