Total Pageviews

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Snow Day and Birthday


Poor Charlie... When we found out that her due date was in December (originally December 27th, so right at Christmas) I knew birthdays would be a rough go of it. Everyone's celebrating Christmas and the birthday kind of takes a back burner. Add in inclement weather and there you have it.

We'd planned for awhile now to have a super small and simple party for her today as her birthday is next Friday and we'll be traveling to Virginia for our Christmas with Dillon's family. Dillon's mom and step-dad were going to come down, my mom and dad and our friends the Creggers were going to come. Early this week they started calling for some snow this weekend, and (isn't this how it always goes?) they were only saying we'd get a small amount of snow. 1-2 inches at most. I didn't think that would be much of a problem for the little get together and honestly didn't think much about it.

I woke up yesterday morning to snow falling. I thought "well, huh." and got we all got ready for school and work. Although by the time I got Luke to daycare it wasn't slowing down. The school felt they'd probably close early so I just loaded him back up and took him to my mom and dad's. I got to work and couldn't do any of my scheduled office visits because everyone was closing and the roads were deteriorating. I checked our local news station and now instead of 1-2 inches they were saying 9-12. Ummm. I got permission to work from home the rest of the day and went and got the kids and got my behind back up our steep hill. Dillon got home shortly after and he and Luke went outside to play and I finished up work while the baby napped in the afternoon.

It didn't look good for Charlie's party today. There was no way Dillon's mom could come down in this mess and the Creggers have a new baby that they don't need to get out in cold weather. Plus our hill is so bad, I didn't want anyone to get hurt coming here. By the time we went to bed last night there was a good 9 inches of snow covering our porch. PS, where I thought we weren't getting much snow, I bought NO groceries. None. We ran out of eggs last night, used most of Charlie's milk and I was running low on bread too. Oh, and diapers. The UPS man didn't come yesterday so my Amazon delivery was delayed. Good times.

Today we woke up and I wanted to make pancakes, but remember, no eggs? So Dillon made hash browns and we went back out to play. By 10:00 it was warming up some and Dill felt we could make it down the hill, so we did. We went and got our groceries and picked up our Zoom passes for tomorrow night's lights at Lake Julian. YAY! We came back home and my mom and dad were able to come up for some cake with Charlie. She got a little basketball goal from us for her birthday and a walker toy from Maw and Peepaw. We also let Luke open up his gift from Charlie (a robot BB-8) and Maw had brought him one of his gifts from her, The Polar Express book (we love the movie, but somehow didn't have the book).

So Charlie's birthday has turned into somewhat of a precursor of Christmas. There are lots of toys around this afternoon as they nap, something that's only going to get worst in the next two weeks. Looks like I need to get organized.

I can't believe Charlie is a year old on Friday. Happy birthday, sweet girl!


Snow!
Luke's favorite!








Baby on my back!



This is in a field next to our local grocery store. I wish they would have been more cooperative subjects. HA!












The view this afternoon. A lot of the snow is melting with the sun. But what a view.














No comments:

Post a Comment